THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Update

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any for an update. First, as vgirl (forgot how to spell it sorry) has already let you know J and I hope to come into town at the end of March. We are still looking for exact times. Anyway, I hope to get to see you all. I've been working my way through my first year, it's still going pretty well. Although I finally hit the wall of no more good health. I had been so proud of staying pretty healthy, especially for a first year as the rumor is normally they are sick for the entire year. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was hit with a nasty flu bug and missed an entire four days of school. I was so upset. Then on Friday I had a really bad sore throat and was pretty sure I had strep, so to avoid the long unbearable weekend I went to the doc during lunch/prep. I told them that was where I was going and should be back for the last two periods. Of course that didn't happen as I did have strep and was informed I was not allowed to go back. I was contagious and could get the kids (and of course adults) sick. Well I'm sure it was probably one of them that gave it to me, but this is no time for revenge, lol. Anyway, so they had to scramble to find someone to watch my last two periods. I felt really bad about that, unfortunately I was not given a choice. So I didn't really get much sleep Thursday into Friday nor Friday into Saturday. By Saturday morning the little thing in the back of my throat that I normally call tonsils but if I remember correctly are actually not was three times its normal size. J called dad and the nurse for me to see what to do and they both said to breathe through my nose (as through my mouth was getting hard at this time) and if it didn't get better to go to the ER. Guess what! It got worse. By early afternoon it was the size of a marble and I was having problems breathing and couldn't even swallow my own saliva. (Gross sorry, I know.) Of course, I didn't want to go the ER and be the stupid lady that comes in for a sore throat. (cringe) Anyway, dad said it was for the best and I went. Of course, I got the looks of "we have a crazy lady coming to the ER with a sore throat" which weren't helped by the lady next to me who was coming in for a legitimate reason, chest pains. Ok, so I get in there, and finally someone looks at my throat (Did I mention I can't talk either?) That's when they went oh, it really is swollen. When the nice doctor came in he suggested numbing liquid, steroids and pain meds. FYI numbing liquid is not flavored, unless make you wanna gag is a flavor. Also, nurse lady he wanted me to have the numbing liquid so it would be easier to swallow the steroids, doesn't help much when you wait so long to give me the pills the numbness has gone away. Thanks for the waste of what I'm sure is ridiculously expensive make you wanna gag crap. Sorry for the long explanation. To try to end this quickly, I got more prescriptions on top of the antibiotics and we picked them and mashed potatoes up (for when I got better :) I hadn't eaten or drank in 24 hours). Being the baby that I was, I even had the pharmacy put grape flavor in my liquid lortab. Hey, no one said it's only for kids. Anyway, after I though I would die from taking the stuff, literally I started gagging gasping for air and panicking due to difficulty swallowing. Considering my tonsils (hanging thingy) were so big I felt I was ripping it off while trying to swallow it. Anyway, the meds helped tremendously. My neck, face and hanging thingy are not as swollen, still swollen, but not as bad. Within about an hour of liquid lortab I was finally able to eat and drink. I'm doing much better, but not liking this extra part of the job. (Being exposed to numerous germs.) Anyway, that is my horribly long confusing grammatically incorrect update. I hope you are all well. I miss you.

2 comments:

J-Dog said...

OMG... that's so horrible! and I think that going to the ER b/c you can't freak'n breath is a good reason to be there. lol

rabidmonkey said...

yeah, "inability to talk or breath" is quite different than "sore throat."

i've had strep a number of times, but never had that degree of swelling. i did once tell a doctor that i didn't care if i was going to be contagious for the first three day of my antibiotics, i was still going to school because it was the last three days before christmas break and all my teachers were going to give me complicated homework assignments that i would need to know about before break so i could have time to do them. so if anyone i went to high school with is reading this and remembers getting strep right before christmas break freshman year, i'm sorry.